Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Tiki-Toki: Social Studies--Kindergarten


     I used Tiki-Toki to create a timeline of United States holidays, focusing on those which commemorate people or events, in order to teach kindergartners about holidays and what they mean. I discussed 18 holidays, though I think that if I use this in my classroom, I will add more holidays to it. I can also use this timeline to document my student's birthdays and have it accessible on my class page for students to see when their peers' birthdays are coming up. I can also use this tool as a way to detail what the plan for the school year is, including lessons, assignments, and assessments. I can either make it only accessible to myself, or let my students access it.
     I liked the layout of the Tiki-Toki and that it was easy to name as well as insert a background. I liked that it was relatively easy to add events to the timeline, including adding pictures and text. Although I did not use this feature, I thought it was helpful that you can color code categories of events. For example, blue could represent national holidays while green represented only state holidays. I didn't like that the "free sign up" meant that I would still have to pay for some features. Obviously, I did not use these features, but I think it would have been fun.
     My students can use this tool to discuss events in history (such as the events of the revolutionary war) or to do a biographical timeline of a person's life. They can even use this tool to detail the plot of a book as a nontraditional book report. My students can use this to create a timeline of scientific discoveries in a certain area. There are many possibilities for how I can use this in a classroom, and I can make the projects into group projects because it would be a collaborative tool.

Standards:
ISTE: Knowledge Constructor: "I critically select, evaluate, and synthesize digital resources into a collection that reflect my learning and builds my knowledge".
EdTech: Standard 7, "Use telecommunication and on-line resources (e.g., email, online discussions, web environments) to participate in collaborative problem-solving activities to develop solutions or products for audiences inside and outside the classroom. (4,5)".
UEN Content: Standard 2, Objective 3d. "Identify the people and events honored in Utah and U.S. commemorative holidays".



No comments:

Post a Comment