Monday, April 17, 2017

Storybird: English Language Arts


     I used Storybird to create a story about a little witch whose wish one day came true! I created a simple story that includes opinion questions which allow my students to decide what their opinion about the book is and separate their opinion from the character's. I can use this format to add questions for comprehension (or to consider the reader's opinions) for my students. I can also use this tool as a fun way to create narratives that teach concepts for math, science, or social studies. This can help students who tend to learn better through audio (I can read it aloud) or through anecdotes. 
     I liked all of the artwork that is available to use and the different styles. I liked how easy it was to add text, pictures, and pages. I wish that the offered pictures were a little bigger so that I could see them better without having to add them to the page. I also wish that you could use pictures from different collections in order to better illustrate the story. I felt like the story was a bit at the mercy of the pictures available.
     My students can use this as a nontraditional book report, or to present what they have learned in social studies. They can present them to the class or share them within groups, depending on what the assignment is. They can write stories that illustrate a math or science concept so that they have a little way of remembering it.

Standards:
ISTE: Creative Communicator: "I communicate effectively and express myself creatively using different tools, styles, formats and digital media".
EdTech: Standard 8, "Use technology resources (e.g., calculators, data collection probes, videos, educational software) for problem-solving, self-directed learning, and extended learning activities. (5,6)".
UEN Content: Reading: Literature Standard 6: "Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters".




No comments:

Post a Comment