Sunday, April 16, 2017

Animoto: Mathematics

Image result for math quotes

     I used Animoto to create a series of videos about math tools, both physical tools and mental tools such as estimation. I made a video for compasses, estimation, rulers, and calculators. I can use this tool for very simple videos about different concepts in math subjects. I can use the app to present vocabulary, both in math and other subjects. I can then present them in class and/or have them available on my class website for my students to quickly review subjects.
     I liked how easy it was to put together the videos and how I could use my own pictures. I liked the many templates that were available to use, which would make it easy to customize for the different subjects. However, I did not like that it limited the characters that I could enter on each slide with the pictures. This resource would be most useful for vocabulary or simple concepts because there isn't much room for long explanations. However, I could offer commentary during the video while presenting it to the class.
     My future students can use this to teach each other simple lessons. I can also have them use this to present their favorite vocabulary words. If I wanted to teach English or spelling with this tool, I can have my students research their own list of words to spell or define and then have them send it to me. This way, I can see what they have learned about the words they looked up. My students can also use this resource to put together picture assignments to show reading comprehension or present a nontraditional book report on a character.

Standards:
ISTE: Creative Communicator: "I communicate effectively and express myself creatively using different tools, styles, formats and digital media".
EdTech: Standard 6: "Use telecommunications efficiently and effectively to access remote information and communicate with others in support of direct and independent learning and for pursuit of personal interests. (4)".
UEN Content: Mathematics, Standard 3.MP.5: "Use appropriate tools strategically. Consider the tools that are available when solving a mathematical problem, whether in a real-world or mathematical context. Choose tools that are relevant and useful to the problem at hand, such as drawings, diagrams, technologies, and physical objects and tools, as well as mathematical tools such as estimation or a particular strategy or algorithm."





No comments:

Post a Comment