Sunday, April 16, 2017

EDpuzzle: Health Education--Substance Abuse Prevention

Image result for second hand smoking cartoon

     I used EDPuzzle to create a video about the statistics and risks of passive smoke, also known as secondhand smoke. I can use it in my class as a simple way to have students take quizzes at home. I can also present it during class and have them write their responses to the quiz questions down on paper.
     I liked the large variety of videos that were available for me to access for all sorts of subjects and grade levels. I think I would have a difficult time finding such a wide variety if I only had access to YouTube, but with this tool I am able to find a plethora of potential videos with the simple search of a topic. I did not like how the audio recording got rid of any background music that came with the video. I also did not like that the whole video had to be recorded before you could save the recording. It is a resource that very much requires that you sit down and finish it instead of something you can work on a little bit at a time. If I wanted to use this, I would have to set aside the time to put the entire video together.
     My students can use this to give presentations and quizzes in the class. Their peers would write the answers to the quiz questions on paper. For example, if we are studying Native American history, one student can present a video and quiz on the Cherokee tribes while another can present the Navajo tribe. They can either give these quizzes to the class, a couple of peers (like we did with the Kahoot! project), or send them to me to evaluate their understanding of the questions that they presented.

Standards:
ISTE: Knowledge Constructor: "I critically select, evaluate and synthesize digital resources into a collection that reflect my learning and builds my knowledge".
EdTech: Standard 5, "Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom. (3, 4)."
UEN Content: Health Education, Substance Abuse Prevention, Standard 2, Objective 1.b, "Describe the effects of passive smoke."


No comments:

Post a Comment