Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Padlet: Science--3rd Grade


     I used Padlet to create a collaborative project discussing how a smaller environment is affected differently than a larger environment. It is also used to discuss the differences between how living and nonliving things interact within those environments. I posed questions for my students to answer on the board.
     I liked how it was very easy to add a picture or text to the padlet. I liked how the background could be customized, and that it offered many options that were already uploaded onto the site. I liked being able to move things around easily. There is also an option to have the boxes organized (ex: in columns or staggered), if you do not know how you want to place them. It was also very easy to navigate, which I liked. The only thing that I did not like was that resizing boxes was a little bit difficult and it looked like I could only extend them horizontally. It worked out, but it would be inconvenient if I wanted to extend it diagonally or vertically.
     My students can use this resource to put together projects in which they discuss topics that they have learned about. They can either post a discussion to me, or share it with a few of their peers in a group collaboration. I can even have my class put one together as a class, with each child posting their name with their contribution. Then it opens a discussion to the whole class and they can share information with each other that the others might not have known. 

Standards:
ISTE: Innovative Designer: "I solve problems by creating new and imaginative solutions using a variety of digital tools".
EdTech: Standard 5, "Use technology tools (e.g. multimedia authoring presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing ,communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom. (3,4)".
UEN Content: Standard 2, Objective 2: a. "Identify living and nonliving things in a small environment (e.g., terrarium, aquarium, flowerbed) composed of living and nonliving things. b. "Predict the effects of changes in the environment (e.g., temperature, light, moisture) on a living organism". d. "Compare a small-scale environment to a larger environment (e.g., aquarium to a pond, terrarium to a forest)". e. "Pose a question about the interaction between living and nonliving things in the environment that could be investigated by observation".

Made with Padlet

No comments:

Post a Comment