Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Google Docs: English Language Arts


     I used Google Docs to create a worksheet which will teach common prefixes and suffixes, as well as encourage my students to think of words that they already know which include them. I gave my students the option to print off the worksheet or submit it to me through Google Docs. I included a definition of the prefixes/suffixes section, listing words that start with the chosen suffixes, define words based on their knowledge, and an opportunity for bonus points by listing as many words as they can with those prefixes/suffixes.
     I liked how easy it was to format everything. It was easy to add pictures, links, tables, text and other similar features. It is very easy to adjust text font and size as well as color. And, if you want to highlight text, it is simple to do that as well. I am familiar with this tool, and there isn't anything that I don't like. It even saves automatically for you, so you aren't at risk of accidentally deleting an entire project and having to start all over.
     My students can use this tool as a way to turn in essays or worksheets (if I use it for worksheets). They can use it for group projects and study guides as well. I can also have students put together mock worksheets that demonstrate their understanding of a subject, or have them exchange worksheets in groups to evaluate both the creator of the worksheet and the one filling it out.

Standards:
ISTE: Global Collaborator: "I strive to broaden my perspective, understand others and work effectively in teams using digital tools".
EdTech: Standard Six, "Use telecommunications efficiently and effectively to access remote information and communicate with others in support of direct and independent learning and for pursuit for personal interests. (4)".
UEN Content: Reading: Foundational Skills Standard 3a., "Identify and know the meaning of the most common prefixes and derivational suffixes".

Project: Common Prefixes and Suffixes--3rd Grade

No comments:

Post a Comment